Sunday 28 August 2011

One Day I'll be able to bake cupcakes without feeling guilty...

This post is going to skilfully sidetrack any mention of David Nicholl's bestselling novel - One Day. Oops, I just mentioned it. Anyway, the point is that I don't really think I'll be able to do it justice with what I have to say about it, so I'm going to subtly reference to it through some cupcake metaphors.

Cupcakes are both tasty and delicious, as well as being the opposite of guilt free. And I’m sorry, but those 'healthy', 'skinny' cupcakes just taste like crap. And porridge oats. And this is really what I thought of One Day. Yes it was delicious to imagine these characters as being potentially realistic, and yet it still had that element of bad feeling when you realised that all the good bits you were imagining and picturing in your head were in fact imaginary. Don't get me wrong, this book was a good read and it didn't really bore me in the slightest, but as usually happens with 'best sellers', it was a little bit of an anti-climax. Good, but not 'ohmygoshthisisfreakingamazing'. And perhaps this is also the bit that relates to home-made cupcakes. Good, but not as good as in the shops.

As for the guilt factor? Well this must inevitably come from reading the book in public, and hence hopping onto the One Day bandwagon. This may just be me, but somehow I lose a bit of the love for a book if I know it's sharing itself out with every other Tom, Dick and Harry. I like a bit of book monogamy. Or if nothing else a touch of discretion.

I will be realistic however, and agree that yes this book was a nice little summer read. It was an interesting study of people and the characters had a wonderful, if not slightly predictable, amount of depth. But let's all be honest here, I don't think there's a single person who didn't see the twist coming. I mean, it was pretty obvious she was going to die right?

Oops. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment