Thursday 18 August 2011

Can you even book a campsite?

Well the answer to this is actually a big fat YES! And I shall tell you right here, about my experiences a week or so ago at a delightful little campsite in North Wales, whether you like it or not.

But what is this, you say!? I thought this was about books, you say?! Well I suppose it is how it started, granted, but I have decided that the title may serve a dual purpose and also do a rather good job of being able to provide space in which to document my travels. 

So as the first in the hopefully long line of travel pieces, I shall start modestly with my buzz worded 'staycation' in Abersoch...



Firstly let me commend the perseverance of my lovely little red Ford Ka who managed to drive the 500 mile round trip without even a hint of a struggle. This is impressive, firstly due to the car being a Ka in the first place, but also because my companion and I did manage to fit an awful lot of camping gear into its modest interior.

Over the course of the weekend however, this little Ka did us well and, music blaring, carried us nicely to the little camp site I had booked the week before. Nestled in the Llyn Peninsular countryside, Rhos Y Foel was, lets just say, not what we were expecting... (although in hindsight, what is there to expect other than some grass and 'facilities' for £12 a night?!)  It was delightfully placed with beautiful views surrounding us and not a noise to be heard for miles, other than the young cows giving us a good Moo every now and again. For its beauty, it could not be faulted. For its appropriateness for two 20 year old girls on a road trip/surfing attempt however, it appeared we were a little out of place.

Nevertheless it had been I, afterall, who had chosen said campsite, and so it was I who had to make sure my companion did not tell me I was an idiot for doing so. Surprisingly, it was not difficult to do so! Once settled it provided a gorgeous location for Pimms and bacon sandwich on our little camping stove, and everybody was lovely! There weren't many people, granted, but the ones that were there did not actually mind us laughing hysterically at the situtation we had found ourselves in, and so we liked them for it...

The next morning we had booked a 2 hour surfing lesson with the West Coast Surf School in Abersoch. We were terribly excited the night before, but due to our ever worsening hangovers getting up at 8.30am to mess around in the cold cold sea was seeming less and less appealing...! But plough on we did, and off to Abersoch we drove.

The surf lesson was really fun, but this was probably down to the fact that we were able to just get on with it, as the staff, friendly as I'm sure they were, left a little to be desired by way of enthusiasm. However for £30 you can't really go far wrong. Indeed, we definitely would have gone back and hired a wetsuit and board for £18 a day, if they would have also loaned us a soft-rack in order to transport the boards to the beach! I'm sure they'd get a lot of extra business if they did this, as the beach is actually a short drive from the shop...!

For our 'cheaper than going abroad' attempt at a holiday, it was everything we could have hoped for - mildly comfortable, occassional activities, a day's sunbathing on the beach, and a lot of chuckling at the situation itself. And it was definitely cheaper!




No comments:

Post a Comment